Common Admission Test (CAT)
Get details about the CAT exam paper, registration procedure, best management institutes, etc. Also have a look at past years' actual test papers, solutions, detailed analysis and practice mock CAT tests to clear the cutoff score and get admission in best MBA colleges in India.
The Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) as an entrance exam for admission to the Post-graduate and Fellow Programs in management courses of several management institutes all over India including the IIMs.
The CAT score is used separately by each institute along with other parameters i.e. academic performance, work experience, group discussion, written assessment and interview performance etc. to select candidates. The weightage assigned to CAT score may differ for each institute. Candidates are advised to read the weightage, process and breakup for each institute on its respective website.
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA[45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) andPersons With Disability (PWD) categories], awarded by any University or educationalinstitution as incorporated by an Act of the Parliament or State legislature in India ordeclared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess anequivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India, India.
- The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice asfollowed by the respective University/Institution. In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion topercentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100
- Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply. However, it may be noted that such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if they submit a certificate from the Principal / Registrar of their University/institution (issued on or before the date as stipulated by the respective IIM) stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate
- IIMs may verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process, the details of which areprovided at the website www.iimcat.ac.in. Applicants should note that the mere fulfilmentof minimum eligibility criteria will not ensure consideration for short listing by IIMs. Candidates must declare and maintain a valid and unique email account and a phone number throughout the selection process.
|15.00% ||Scheduled Caste (SC) |
|7.50% ||Scheduled Tribe (ST) |
|27.00% ||Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates belonging to the “non-creamy” layer |
|3.00%||Differently Abled (DA)|
For more details on the eligibility criteria and reservations, go here
Test Duration & Pattern
|Section ||No. of Questions ||Duration|
|Quantitative Ability||34||3 hrs |
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning ||32|
To know about the scoring and equating process go here
Top Colleges Under CAT
There are at present 20 IIMs. Other prominent B- Schools (not in any particular order) that accept CAT scores are:
How to Apply
- Register online at the CAT website with a registration fee of Rs. 1700 (General/NC-OBC) and Rs. 850 (SC/ST/PWD-DA).
- Note: Payment of registration fee can be done through online modes only including credit card, debit card or through net banking
- You do not have the option of choosing you preferred slot this time
- You must show original mark sheets and submit photocopies to prove your eligibility at the time of interview. Further, if you are selected for a programme, original degree certificate and mark sheets along with your photocopies must be submitted for verification at the time of joining the programme
Official Website: http://www.iimcat.ac.in
CAT is a computer based test, conducted in multiple cities. A candidate can select his / her test date and slot as per choice and availability.